Saturday, March 20, 2010

nostalgia










I just had the pleasure of working at my old stomping grounds, Nokomis, this past few weeks. Jessica was on a buying trip and I was trying avoid getting back to my life in Calgary so naturally I took up her offer to take care of the shop for two weeks. The familiarity of being on Whyte Ave was really lovely; walking down the ave stopping at the corner Starbucks for my Grande Latte and a warmed cheese croissant really made my mornings feel complete. Having a peek in to Eden Lily to look at the beautiful flowers and smell all the great smells on my lunch break made me really miss Edmonton. Then at the end of the evening, being able to look forward to heading to the Empress for a half pint of Guinness made me love my week! I mean, how could you not love that schedule!?

When I was in the shop alone for my entire 11-7 shifts, I would sometimes spend some time arranging and then re-arranging my jewelry in the display cases. Needless to say I took a few photos (with my crappy, pixelated camera) of the Millicent stock that remains there. Often I felt a little embarrassed when people would look at my pieces but I always appreciated it when they actually bought it. Yay!

On my last day in Edmonton, I managed to spend a good chunk of time in my favourite bead shop to stock up on some fun new materials to get the creative juices flowing... get excited people, because I sure am! This next week will hopefully yield many great, beautiful new designs. Let me say this, I am really feeling turquoise right now. Blame it on my month in Phoenix, but I am feeling the whole Navajo summers in light denims, florals and lots of saddle brown leather. I plan on being clad in chain, feathers and turquoise every day of my life.... today is the first day of Spring, so a girl can dream, right?

1 comment: